Monday, June 22, 2009

Day Trip to Monhegan



Call me a "Daytripper" to Monhegan. We rode the 7 am mail ferry out of Port Clyde, and returned on the 4:30. It was early June and hills, rocks, wharfs and cliffs were dotted with painters and easels. I thought of sheep dotting the hillsides of Yorkshire. Not an unpleasant sight. Spots were competitive, though. I had gained permission to set up on Fish Beach, so I ran up to buy a cup of coffee, and returned minutes later to discover four other artists had set up easels. So I choose to paint a view of Fish Beach from The Wharf, and was happy to have done so. Fish Beach is one of two 100 foot bars of sand on the Island, and the Lobstermen use it. "Historic Fish Beach": Oil on canvas board: 11x14. "Monhegan Surf," Oil on canvas board, 12x16.

No comments: